St Mark’s Church began in 1893 with services in the “Mission Room
– a small room built as an Infant School in Mount Street in the Oatlands District of Harrogate. As the congregation grew, the need for a larger building was met by the erection of a church on Leeds Road – in which we now worship.
Built to a design by J.Oldred Scott, son of the famous architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, the building was opened by the Bishop of Ripon, Dr Boyd Carpenter on 21 July 1899.
It is believed to have been based on the main features of Fountains Abbey and with the intention of adding a massive tower to the west front – but for financial reasons, and the difficulties of two world wars, the tower was never built.
After almost a century of use, the building was redeveloped in 1997-8 in order to update the facilities and provide a more attractive context for worship and community activities.
The Church was re-consecrated on 7 February 1998 by the Bishop of Leeds, the Rt Revd David Young.
To find out more fully about our history as a church, we invite you to read: “St Mark’s Church Harrogate 1893 – 2010” by Prof Gerald Richards – a history of St Mark’s available from the Church Bookstall.
- 1893 – St Mark’s Church begins to worship together
- 1899 – Church building opened – Bishop of Ripon
- 1905 – Completed building consecrated
- 1929 – Parochial Hall opened
- 1992 – Disposal of Parochial Hall
- 1997 – Church re-ordering started
- 1998 – Church building re-consecrated – Bishop of Ripon
- 1999 – St Mark’s Centenary – Archbishop of York
- 2005 – Centenary of Church building consecration
Click here to download a PDF detailing more about the building