Safeguarding Policy Statement (June 2017) This Policy Statement on Safeguarding in the Church was adopted by St. Mark’s Harrogate at a Parochial Church Council meeting held on 17th June 2017
Each person who works within this church will agree to abide by these recommendations and the guidelines established by this church. This church appoints Rev Daniel Watts as the Parish Safeguarding Officer.
The application of this policy will be reviewed each year and a report provided by the Parish Safeguarding Officer to the PCC.
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. Among other things, this implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
The Diocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales and all parishes within it adopt Church of England polices and practice guidance relating to safeguarding.
We will endeavour to safeguard children, young people and adults by:
• Ensuring the care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with, all children, young people and adults.
• Carefully selecting and training all those with any responsibility within the Church, in line with safer recruitment principles, including the use of criminal records disclosures and registration with the relevant vetting and barring schemes.
• Supporting, resourcing, training and regularly reviewing those who undertake work with children, young people and adults.
• Establishing safe, caring communities which provide an environment where there is a culture of ‘informed vigilance’ as to the dangers of abuse.
• Recognising that it is the responsibility of each of us to prevent the physical, emotional, sexual, financial and spiritual abuse of children, young people and adults, and to report any such abuse that we discover or suspect.
• Responding without delay to every complaint made which suggests that a child, young person or adult may have been harmed, co-operating with the police and local authority in any investigation.
• Seeking to work with anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with him or her an appropriate ministry of informed pastoral care.
• Committing ourselves to promoting safe practice by those in positions of trust.
• Challenging any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of trust.
• Offering pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or adult
Click here to download the ‘Safer Church’ booklet
Safeguarding in your parish – who’s who?
Name: Mark Siddall
Role: Safeguarding Officer
Tel: 07968 332982
Name: Dave Ferguson & Alison Glover
Role: Church Wardens
Tel: 01423 54452
Name: Narinder Lyon
Role: Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Tel: 0113 3530 256
Local Authority Social Services:
- NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
- Childline: 0800 1111
- Stop It Now: 0808 1000 900
- NAPAC: 0808 801 0331
- Samaritans: 116 123
- Family Lives: 0808 800 2222
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247
- Action On Elder Abuse:080 8808 8141